ANSYS, FlexNET Licensing error
Then, I installed a client software (19.1) on a different PC. During the installation, I typed in the correct port numbers (both 2 of them) and the host name as the server PC *1.
However, I got an error dialogue saying something like:
License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,491)
I edited (with Run as admin Notepad++) the file at C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\ansyslmd.ini where I changed the hostname to the actual IP address. No success. I ping-ed to the server PC and there was actually no problem (even hostname is resolved nicely).
Then, after some googling, I added the ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE and ANSYSLI_SERVERS to the environmental variables (as PORTNUMBER@HOSTNAME ) but this did not help at all.
Then I googled a lot and came to think the port may be the problem. In fact, when I opened the Windows Firewall settings, it says "Inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked." This is understandable since it's the university PC, and I guess we cannot (at least easily) change this policy. Therefore, I created a rule in the server PC that allows the inbound connection to the ports from the private network, and this worked like a charm.
- Open the Control Panel (In Win10, Windows-X is easy).
- System security > Windows Firewall > Advanced settings (left column): new window should open
- If you see "Inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked." in the Private Profile, this may be the cause.
- In the left column, left-click "Inbound Rules"
- Then right-click the "Inbound Rules" and choose "New rule..."
- Select "Port". Press "Next >"
- Type the ports of your choice in the "Specific local ports" (you can use comma for multiple ports) and press "Next >"
- Choose either "Allow the connection" or "Allow the connection if it is secure" (in my case, the second one didn't work, though if it works preferable, I think). Press "Next >"
- Untick the "Public" at least. Untick one of the others if you can (might require trial & error). Press "Next >"
- Type in the name (e.g. "Open ports for ANSYS") and press "Finish".